Wednesday, March 5, 2014

I'm real.




You told me you didn't know my name. And again I was afraid of fading into the smoke.

You compared me to Miley Cyrus. I didn't know if you meant my hair or that I was trying too hard to break away from my Disney reputation. The reputation that everyone had glued in the back of their minds and they're now second guessing after watching the VMA's performance over and over.. I still don't know how to twerk.

Sometimes I feel like a celebrity, and that makes me afraid. Because everyone knows celebrity gossip, but how well does everyone know the celebrity? Because celebrities have a lot of fans and a lot of not-so-fans. Because celebrities have a lot of followers on Twitter, but how many of them can they call up on the weekends when their heart breaks? Because people talk about celebrities like they're a different breed. Because people say childhood stars fuck themselves over. Because celebrities can count on their hands the amount of real friends they have just like anybody else.

There's that word again. Real.

I didn't make up random shit so that you could pity me. I did shave my head. Friend me on Facebook for the pictures. I did go to rehab. That would be a hell of a lie to keep up BTdubs. I do have an eating disorder. A mood disorder. I am suicidal. I did attempt last March. And I did say the "f word" in class today because I was pissed at that kid's comment. (I'm sorry about that Nelson. I'll try to keep it classy next time).

But I'm scared I'm too real. I'm scared the kid that posts about being schizo isn't. I'm scared the kid that posts about his girlfriend is single. I'm scared that the girl who heard me read my second poem at Muse thinks I was making a joke about rehab just for more attention. I was scared when I admitted I had an eating disorder in front of the whole class, and I was scared when I told you my fear food. Sauces. I'm sorry I was never good at fitting in.

Let me introduce the real me, who you've been dying to meet all along, but you weren't looking hard enough in the brands of the clothes I wore. In who I talked to in the hallways. In the way you said my name.
I'm scared of equality. I won't know what else is worth protesting in the streets. I'm scared it won't live up to society's expectations.
Who's afraid of dying too early? Dying too late? Who's afraid of living past their prime?
I'm afraid. I'm afraid of contradictions and double thinking.
What if my beliefs are wrong? My beliefs are right? The Mormons are right? (Please don't come knocking on my door).
I'm afraid.
I'm tired of getting the answers to the questions I was too scared to ask out loud.
I'm afraid of happiness because depression is getting so damn comfortable in bed with me.
That no one believes my truths and everyone believes my lies.
I'm afraid of oblivion. Of inadequacy. Of incompetence. Of failure. Of the judgment that naturally follows.
Of being Alice lost in Wonderland.

I'm afraid of disappointing my parents.

I'm afraid of you. Because you, yes, you, are capable of anything, darling. And that includes breaking my heart in three easy steps. You always told me I was too weak and I was too vulnerable, but you never told me I was the China doll fragile or the first kiss naive. I was trying to be the Hulk for you, but my strength gave out when I ran out of passion.

I'm afraid of contact sports because my mom told me not to talk to strangers, let alone get cozy with them.
I'm afraid of lackluster sex after Hollywood showed me how to make love.
I'm afraid the Superbowl is a bitch in person, but she's real nice on the telly.
I'm afraid of bikini shopping with you after your last girlfriend was a model.
I'm afraid I'm just another one of his exes. Just another student that graduated Lone Peak. Just another Broncos fan.
I'm afraid of Love and I'm afraid of Hate. I'm afraid I'm dating both of them.
I'm afraid you're not reading this. I'm afraid you're reading this. Tell me what you're thinking.
I'm afraid, I'm afraid, I'm afraid.

Don't tell me you don't care what people think. Is that why you wore makeup even when your friend was dying?

Today I was finally brave enough to walk down the hall without my eyes glued to my cell phone. I'm finally brave enough to look up.

Because I'm just so tired. Tired of being afraid.

17 comments:

  1. I have almost no words. You are incredible. Your shaved head is beautiful, I saw you the other day in class and I was startled because I have had classes with you in the past and this is he first time I've see you in a while. I'm amazed at what you have been through and I think you are beautiful so ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the future of blogging. This is what I want advanced creative writing to look like. No more pen names. No more secrets. (I'm not being poetic...I'm actually talking about having the blogs be REAL in advanced creative writing.)

    But I'll be honest, this scares the H out of me. You scare the H out of me. Your writing. Your language. Your truth.

    But I love it.

    I wish more people were like you, but then I'm thankful that no one is. Because it would be too much. You're almost too much. I promise I mean all of this as a compliment.

    Keep being too real. It works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SHIT THIS IS SO GOOD sorry. Had to get that out. And it's always so good. It's always REAL. Yes. Just yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to comment so I'm commenting but im at a loss for words I don't know what i should say to you other than the fact that you blow me away. your writing is so inspiring you as a person are so inspiring you may be afraid of alot of things but your alot braver than all of us because you aren't scared to be real to be you to swear in class and say what you think, i admire you sooo much. so thank you for being real and thank you for making me feel. maybe one day i will be able to write like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. also I don't know the difference between then and than so ignore my incorrect use of those in that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I'm afraid of happiness because depression is getting so damn comfortable in bed with me."
    "Of being Alice lost in Wonderland."
    " but you never told me I was the China doll fragile or the first kiss naive. "
    "I'm afraid of contact sports because my mom told me not to talk to strangers, let alone get cozy with them."
    I cannot describe the sound that left my mouth after each of these lines in any other way than to say my sister thinks I was having sex. But this was brilliant. You are brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I am straight up speechless. Well done is about all I can say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I went and re-read all of my stuff. I feel bad for myself because I suck. Compared to you.
    That's a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I'm scared that the girl who heard me read my second poem at Muse thinks I was making a joke about rehab just for more attention."

    I didn't think you were doing it for attention, I knew you were just telling us how the pain hurts you but in a light way sweetheart. I was more worried about getting some food in you afterwards once you told me you had skipped dinner.

    But this is honestly so beautiful. I'm so proud of you darling.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are real, this is real. this is inspiring.You are inspiring. This is beautiful, You are beautiful. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Sometimes I feel like a celebrity, and that makes me afraid. Because everyone knows celebrity gossip, but how well does everyone know the celebrity?" Why do you make me see things so differently? It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So I never comment on anything you write because I get overwhelmed by the amount of love you receive because you're just so fantastic, but I read pretty much everything. Okay, bye.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to read this again. It was better than the first time. Your insights make it clear that you see the world more clearly than the rest of us and your descriptions are lyrically perfect.
    And also, "I'm afraid of Love and I'm afraid of Hate. I'm afraid I'm dating both of them."
    #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my. please. from a broken mind, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't want to quote you because I would be writing your whole post in one comment. But that was beautiful. YOU are beautiful, and I love that you're not afraid to be you. You may be different, but there's something fantastic about that, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my gosh I love this. Keep being real, please.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's okay.....I'm only obsessed with you.

    I guess i can be real too, because i only stalk these blogs, i don't have one or an alias. But i wish i did.

    ReplyDelete