Saturday, November 30, 2013

Confession Time






And maybe you'll never see this because I'm typing this up on a Saturday night.

The typist came back from the computer lab with no results. The keyboards are jammed.The ink went dry days ago. And the words are stuck. I stole all the words and I have no intention of giving them up. You open and close your mouths and all that comes out is air.

 Like fish gasping for oxygen, flopping around on the deck. Hooked to the pole. Poor fools. #sorrynotsorry

Are you skimming this over? Are you reading this waiting for the big reveal? Or are you telling me that what I have to say is important? Are you validating my emotions like my therapist? The one who doesn't let me alone unless I commit to safety. Eff that.

Let me write you a love poem. But all the words I can think of would cut you like knives and I don't know if that's what you had in mind. And your cuts look too fresh to endure that kind of reopening. I'm not saying you're not strong, I'm just saying you're not strong enough yet. You have to tear the muscle fibers beefore they build up bigger.

Are you listening? Are you reading? Are you waiting to hear why the crazy bald girl had to go away? My hair has grown out, you know. It's almost two inches long. Like the average boy's. And I like it that way.

I tried to peel open my head, you know. Like an onion. #foodtalk The Mad Hatter told me the gears in my head are what need fixing, like a clock. Spread on more butter. Shmear on the jelly. You won't ever get better that way. We're all mad here. Technically this place is called a psych hospital. 

Someone gave me a paintbrush, and I didn't know what to do with it. I told them I wasn't creative and they quoted Van Gogh to me. Someone like that. Ended up with yellow stains on my sleeve and no paint on the paper. And I hate yellow.

Someone gave me a piece of paper. And a pencil. But the pencil didn't represent commitment like I thought it would. And the eraser overpowered my weak apologies.

All those days, those months, and I still haven't figured out how to say it. I tried to tell my eleven year old sister why I had to go away, and she asked me when I'd be back. I didn't know what to tell her. Why meal times were so strict. Why I cried when I had to eat the trailmix. Why I wasn't allowed to have shoelaces. Sharps. Glass containers. Why I couldn't go in my room by myself.
  
Here it is: We're both drowning in the Pacific. Maybe the Antarctic, but the cold would kill us first. I'm a weaker swimmer to begin with. I'm more vulnerable than you are, and I pretend like it's what I want.

Problem: I like drowning. I'm trying to breathe all this water through my lungs. Right now I'm dying, and I'm trying to figure out if I hate dying enough to choose to live instead.

I am in treatment for my eating disorder.  That's for you suckers who didn't read the whole thing.

Now the words are out and my hands are trying to grab them back half heartedly, but they cling to your clothing like campfire smoke. Reputation. Shame. A bad joke. 

I wanted to be real. Real like the media pretends to be.

I tried to pray to God, but I couldn't talk religion in the dining hall. 

The truth is I'm scared to see you all again.
No, I'm not just talking about this class. I'm talking about the school. Lone Peak. 
Scared I'm not going to measure up to that picture you hung up on the wall, to that picture you point to in the yearbook. Scared with all the layers peeled off, I'm not going to look as pretty as you thought. And this is a confession.

I'm scared I can only be this brave on the computer. Behind a pen name, even though you all know the girl behind the mask.

And maybe you'll never see this because I'm writing this up on a Saturday night.

PS Don't tell my therapist because I wasn't supposed to be social networking yet.

21 comments:

  1. I actually don't know who you are, but you are amazing. I have so much respect for you to be able to write about this, I know how extremely difficult that is. You are such an outstanding writer. You are just so real. Don't care about what anyone at lone peak thinks of you... You are strong and beautiful and none of them are worth shit. Good luck girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I saw you at the top of the list, I gasped. The news reached my whole family. I love you. You're amazing. So much respect.
    The most horribly beautiful words.
    Also,
    I have to go there too.
    I don't know what else to say about that.
    And I admire your ability to talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My hell I've been waiting for this day since you wrote your last post that I've read a solid twenty times now.
    I don't even know what to say without sounding cliche. I want to to tell you that I can relate and I get it but we both know that's bull shit.
    I want to tell you that your writing is so terribly beautiful because it is.
    And I want to be honest like you and confess but I won't because I don't have the balls too.
    I guess that's why I love reading your writing so much because it's everything I'm to scared to say but inside im dying too. Idk I just missed this blog and you and I understand. But I don't, but I do. I just really really like your writing.

    "And this is a confession."

    ReplyDelete
  4. "The one who doesn't let me alone unless I commit to safety. Eff that"

    Oh my gosh thank you. I thought I was the only one. Who lied to their therapist that they would be safe. If that is what you were trying to get across.

    I have really missed you. And I don't even know you. Well I think I do. But I probably don't. But I wish I did. I feel like we could really be great friends. Considering that I don't really have any. Sorry, that was a confession time. Also, psych hospitals suck.
    I have been to one.
    It sucked.

    " I like drowning. I'm trying to breathe all this water through my lungs. Right now I'm dying, and I'm trying to figure out if I hate dying enough to choose to live instead."

    FAVORITE. I can totally relate.

    I just love your writing. And you.

    Good luck, by the way. You are amazing. Really. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. I have to admit that I could never right something so powerful and now I don't even want to blog anymore because I'm pretty sure I would just feel really really stupid.

    This was so beautiful and I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been on your side of the situation, but two of my best friends suffer with bulimia. I've researched it's effects, I've studied the psychological and physical damage of it all. But in everything I've learned about it, I never once learned about how they must be feeling. I never was able to understand what kind of hell they were going through and I've been scared as shit because they're killing themselves and all I've been able to do is stand on the sidelines and watch.

    But since you wrote this, you've shown me how not only you feel, but how all the others feel. You were able to show us the true dispair and hopelessness that pulses through your body when you refuse to put food and love in it. You've showed us that the strive for "perfection" cannot be won... and that is exactly what my friends and everyone else who struggles needs to hear.

    I cannot thank you enough. Writing this not only helped you, but it will help so many others too. I don't know who you are dear, but I am so proud of you. What you are doing is so brave and courageous and I know that it must be the hardest thing you have ever done, but your doing it. And when you go to the dining hall and the last thing you want to do is swallow, please just think about us. Your creative writing class. We want you to keep writing and we want to see you soon. But most importantly, think about yourself and what you want the rest of your life to look like. Think about all the amazing things you can do if you just swallow. You can do it.
    You can do it.


    You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Someone gave me a piece of paper. And a pencil. But the pencil didn't represent commitment like I thought it would. And the eraser overpowered my weak apologies."

    Preach.

    You, my dear, make me rip apart every page I've tried to record my feelings on and send them off to Alaska. I'm not saying anything understandable but I'm trying to give a definition to you and I can't. I cannot. I am a chapter and you are the NY Times bestseller.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're back. Thank you for writing again. Thank you for writing what you did.

    "But the pencil didn't represent commitment like I thought it would."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your words have such power it could break a mans jaw. Really though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back. You've been missed.

    Your writing never fails to impress me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why did it take me so long to see this? Over 40 hours.

    I feel like I slept in on Christmas morning. (Okay, overstated...but still, I'm glad you're back.)

    Too much emotion right now.

    Your post. The ten comments. Your honesty. Everything.

    I've spent the past hour planning tomorrow's lesson (we're talking about story and structure) and it all seems so pointless now.

    This post is all that matters.

    Welcome back. 1000 times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't really know what to say.

    The honesty.
    The vigor.
    The emotion.

    You're amazing. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy shit.
    I love you.
    and I can sincerely say that because I believe I know who you are.
    (10th grade art class. We made cookies once?)
    Anyways, if you need anything... I'm here for you.
    I understand, and everything sounds hard and I wish saying "I'm sorry" would make you feel better.
    But you're awesome and I've always thought that.
    And if I still had your number I'd call you right now. (sorry this is all public.)
    Your writing is amazing, keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ho.lee shit. It has been far too long my friend. I have missed you. Welcome back.
    And this, this was horribly perfect.
    I can only slightly imagine the hell you are going through...and I'm sorry.
    But thank you for writing this. It was tragically beautiful but very needed by so many.
    You make me want to write like tomorrow wasn't a concept.
    But you also make me want to stop writing all together and just live in the words that you write so perfectly that I could never figure out how to say.
    You are brilliant and so perfectly flawed that I just...I'm speechless every time...

    I've probably read this ten times and just sat here trying to figure out what to say...and it still won't ever be enough. I'm sorry.

    "I wanted to be real."

    ReplyDelete
  15. Holy hell welcome back!
    You have been missed. I mean DAMN who couldn't miss reading your words.
    So beautiful
    So real
    So unbelievably amazing

    I love the whole Mad Hatter thing...kinda a fan.

    Just....hell...you are so amazingly brave to write this, and I love you for it!

    I have read this a million times and I probably will never get tired of reading it, it is just that brilliant.

    Sheesh love you, love your words, love love love

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post just, wow, that was amazing; touched me so much.

    "Problem: I like drowning."
    I was all like: "Holy shit."

    "I wanted to be real. Real like the media pretends to be."
    So beautiful, so true.

    "I tried to pray to God, but I couldn't talk religion in the dining hall." <-- This. Oh my. Wow.

    "I'm scared I can only be this brave on the computer. Behind a pen name, even though you all know the girl behind the mask."
    Then I got to this part and I was just like: "I don't know who you are! but you're so real. The fact that you confront your fear is amazing. Smacked it in the face with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my hell. You are such a beautiful writer and person. Compared to all these other long, well written posts and other amazing blogs I feel my comment doesn't even matter but I still feel like I have to comment because I want to be a part of this history. You have made history for me in this little creative writing class and I will never forget you. You are one of the greats.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my hell. You are such a beautiful writer and person. Compared to all these other long, well written posts and other amazing blogs I feel my comment doesn't even matter but I still feel like I have to comment because I want to be a part of this history. You have made history for me in this little creative writing class and I will never forget you. You are one of the greats.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sometimes I am scared to read your blog... You're so honest and real... It's like you say all the things that I can't own up to. I just love you. You're such an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. That is all I an say. I have no idea who you are but you amaze me and I am proud of you because I didn't tell anyone about the summer I spent 'away', not really, for at least a year and a half after it happened. IT is scary as hell and I hope you know you are braver than you think. Keep on with it.

    ReplyDelete